[openstack-dev] Exposing service versions through APIs (was: [heat] Build Info Blueprint)

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 11:31:32 UTC 2013

On 18/11/13 23:45, Anderson Mesquita wrote:
> Hello fellows,
>
> As suggested on our meeting last Wednesday (2013-11-13)
> <http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/heat/2013/heat.2013-11-13-20.00.log.html#l-149>,
> we're trying to get the build_info discussion going.
>
> The idea is that Heat should provide an endpoint to query its current
> build information so that support users, bug reporters, and possibly
> regular users can quickly retrieve this information. A more detailed
> description is available on the blueprint
> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/heat-build-info>,
> specification <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/heat-build-info>, or the
> latest patch <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/55434/> for even more
> awesomeness!

Thanks for starting this discussion :)

I've changed the subject line to open this up to the whole community,
because I think we should be pursuing a unified approach to this across
all OpenStack projects - there's nothing particularly special about Heat
that would make it the only place to address this.

For those who have not been following, the FAQ linked above at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/heat-build-info actually does a pretty
good job of answering my questions.

For the record, I still find the answer to #7 unconvincing (random
polling is your plan to find the rogue out-of-date server on your
network?). Also, I have a better idea for #8, #10 is not quite as simple
as it seems for boring (and mostly Heat-specific) technical reasons, and
this thread is here to address #11.

cheers,
Zane.