[openstack-dev] [Ironic] comment on IceHouse firmware update etherpad

Jing CDL Sun sjing at cn.ibm.com
Tue Nov 19 06:32:31 UTC 2013

The firmware update method addressed in blueprint
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic/+spec/firmware-update is mainly
inband, we leverage an utility ramdisk to perform firmware update, which
means we have to netboot the bare metal server to load this utility
ramdisk, so we need to migrate off first.

If my understanding is correct, the capability you described below "update
firmware online" is mainly an out-of-band method, so it's possible to have
firmware updated while the instance is running, different vendors may have
different utilities to perform firmware out-of-band, so for out-of-band
case, we let the vendor drivers cover it.

Please just correct me if I'm wrong :)

Best Regards,
-----------------------------
Sun Jing(孙靖)

"Hsu, Wan-Yen" <wan-yen.hsu at hp.com>
2013/11/19 06:18
Please respond to
"OpenStack Development Mailing List \(not for usage questions\)"
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>

"openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
cc

Subject
[openstack-dev] [Ironic] comment on IceHouse firmware update    etherpad

Hi,

     I read the etherpad for firmware update.    I have a comment:

・         if the node already has an instance on it, do we want to be able
to update the firmware
o   tenant shouldn't care/know about firmware updates
o   need to migrate off first, so no
o   i.e. we can't disrupt the tenant

   IMO the decision should be pending on platform capability.  Some
platforms can stage firmware update online or update firmware online.
Therefore, it is fine to update firmware on those platforms even when
instances are running on them.  IMO Ironic should let platform to decide
whether it can update firmware  or stage firmware update when a node
already has an instance on it.  I think this can be done via an API.
Thanks!

Regards,
WH