[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

Brian Cline bcline at softlayer.com
Mon Nov 18 18:03:31 UTC 2013

Honestly, with that reasoning, this approach strikes me as a technical solution to a political problem, a band-aid on a sprained ankle, and so on and so forth in that pattern.

There was no shortage of talk about cross-project coordination challenges in HK and Portland, so it shouldn't be news to anyone -- but keeping all project lists consolidated into one doesn't seem like a good solution if we're already doing that today and still have just as much cross-project coordination problems. That coordination should be fostered separately through process by OS leadership, rather than mailing list structure.

For what it's worth, I much prefer Caitlin's and Stefano's approach, separate established project lists with a single list for incubator projects. The tagging here isn't always consistent (or there at all sometimes -- we've all made that mistake before), so things often slip by the filters. I have 14 rules set up to catch most of the core projects, and I'm still getting tons more general dev discussion than I can keep up with (something I really *want* to be able to do, as both a developer and implementor).

Brian