[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list (summary so far)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 15 10:06:59 UTC 2013

Wow, lots of different opinions! let's try to summarize:

Arguments in favor of splitting openstack-dev / stackforge-dev
* People can easily filter out all non-openstack discussions
* Traffic would drop by about 25%
* Removes confusion as to which projects are actually "in openstack"

Arguments in favor of keeping it the same
* Provides a cross-pollination forum where external projects can learn
* More chaos creates more innovation

Personally I was fine with having everyone in the same "burgeoning city"
(to quote the lyrical Clint) until we recently crossed the bar of making
that city painful for a lot of people. Especially the people who work on
serving the needs of all OpenStack projects (think release management,
doc, QA, infra) and who have to pay some level of attention to every thread.

Yes, those people can filter out all stackforge discussions into a
separate folder: identify all the corresponding prefixes and setting
filters for them (and praying that they would all just use the right
suffixes). But rather than forcing everyone to go through that setup,
why not set up a list and make it more convenient for everyone to apply
different (or similar !) reading rules to the two different groups.

Because they ARE two different groups. One is "OpenStack" and must get
the extra attention of all the people working on horizontal functions
(that is what incubation is about, carefully controlling access to extra
common resources). The other is "not yet OpenStack", free-for-all. The
latter group clearly benefits from being on the same list: they get
extra attention from all those smart OpenStack people, and their
marketing can benefit from the very blurry line between openstack and
not-yet-openstack we maintain on the list.

In summary, I certainly see the benefits of a single list for stackforge
developers (and why people working on a limited number of vertical
projects don't really mind either way...). But I fear that we maintain
those benefits at the expense of the sanity of the horizontal programs
in openstack, and therefore lower the quality of OpenStack as a result.

PS: I don't think we can reach consensus on that one -- we might need to
push it to the TC to make a final call.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)