[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Neutron Tempest code sprint - 2nd week of January, Montreal, QC, Canada

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Nov 16 17:42:06 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 01:13 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 12:47 -0500, Anita Kuno wrote:

>>> I'm saying that I find it so ridiculous, that I wouldn't consider going
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> I find the suggestion that I would be given a different shit to wear so
>>> offensive, that I have to waste time having this conversation to condemn
>>> it publicly.  I have a lot of pride in OpenStack, and don't want anyone
>>> to think that everyone finds this sort of requirement acceptable in our
>>> community.
>> I respect this about you, Russell and it is one of the many reasons I am
>> so glad to work with you.
>>
>> Had this level of pride in OpenStack been prevalent during the Neutron
>> design summit sessions, it wouldn't even have occured to me to mention it.
>>
>> I hope to attract people with this level of pride in OpenStack to the
>> code sprint and my thought was that eliminating logos would support that
>> goal.
>>
>> What would you suggest to attract and foster this level of pride in
>> OpenStack in the code sprint attendees?
>>
>> I will also note, that while you clearly stated the Neutron is being
>> considered for deprecation - t-shirts prevail as an issue on this
>> thread. I consider that rather interesting to observe.
>
> I think you're expressing a similar sentiment to e.g. "there should be
> more Neutron developers who work on core Neutron rather than just their
> drivers". I'm cool with that, and totally agree.
>
> Choosing to pick on people's choice of clothing is just a bizarre way of
> expressing that concern, though.
>
> Bear in mind how often I talk about this being a community of
> individuals, we should all wear our "project hats", that our affiliation
> should be secondary to our commitment to our project, ...
>
> Dictating what people can wear to an OpenStack event is not my idea of
> what OpenStack is all about. It's not my idea of the "mutual respect"
> you talk about.

100% agree with Mark. I think the spirit of working together on the
whole can be set as a tone without rules and policies around people's
clothing. This is about inclusiveness.

I'd like the clothing restriction bits retracted from this as well,
because I don't think it's really relevant to the discussion, the
sprint, or how we function as a community.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net