[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Neutron Tempest code sprint - 2nd week of January, Montreal, QC, Canada

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Nov 15 10:33:16 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 06:45 PM, Miguel Lavalle wrote:
> Anita,
>
> I am interested in attending this event. I have already talked to my
> manager and he is open to fund my trip.
Wonderful. This is great news, Miguel. I look forward to meeting you.
> I need to put together a budget, though, in order to get final approval.
That makes sense.
> What is the estimated daily rate for the chosen hotel / venue?
I have looked at selecting a designated hotel and I don't think I am
going to go that route. I will explain why.

If I go with a block of rooms at one location, and meeting rooms plus
daily food, I can't get comfortable with what they want to charge me on
a per person basis.

If I go with a location by itself (which I have a tentative hold on) and
food by itself (awaiting a menu from a caterer) then I am feeling the
numbers will come in to a reasonable amount. This option would mean that
attendees are on their own for hotel bookings. Taking a quick look at
kayak.com and filtering for 10 km to the intended location, the prices
for some rooms will match or beat any prices I have gotten back from the
hotel I have contacted.
http://www.ca.kayak.com/hotels/Montreal,QC,Canada-c6966/2014-01-14/2014-01-18

I think I am going to have to go with attendees are on their own for
rooms. Less than an ideal situation in one sense, but much more doable
from an organization point of view for me - I just have to focus on the
meeting room and daily food, much easier to come to a reasonable budget
in my mind. This would cover breakfast, tea/coffee and lunch. I still
don't know what to do about dinner. I would like us to have the option
to congregate as a group - I don't think a sit down dinner is
reasonable, something more conducive to mingling. But I haven't gotten
there yet, suggestions welcome.

Having attendees organize their own accommodations worked fine for the
Infra Boot Camp in New York City in June, so I hope it will work as well
here.

I hope this frees you up to make your own choices, Miguel, and submit
your budget for approval.

Let me know your thoughts and if you need more from me.

Thanks,
Anita.