[openstack-dev] [Solum] Command Line Interface for Solum

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:31:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com>wrote:

> Are you referring to "openstack solum …" in your suggestion of what not to
> do? If there is no project name in there, how would it work? Would we have
> a flat global namespace for all verbs?

Yes. See https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackClient/Commands for the
current OSC commands.  The verbs turn out to be fairly easy, the object
names occasionally need some disambiguation when there is overlap.

What about using combined noun+verb combinations, so you would end up with
> commands like:
>
>  deploy_app
>
>  …etc. That might be more specific and require less processing logic.

The processing is already done by cliff and works quite well.

I would suggest working out your command set in one place before going too
far.  OSC is all about consistency so if you are planning to plug in to it
you will want to use the same verb and option names and make sure your
object names do not overlap.

Oh, keep in mind too that the API calls are not necessarily mapped directly
1:1 to the commands.  I've handled some by making them simply be options on
existing commands (see 'server resize' and 'server set' as examples).  This
is one place the existing extension mechanism falls over in that it can not
currently handle adding options to an existing command from a plugin.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com