[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 14 13:12:55 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I think that we have recently reached critical mass for the
openstack-dev mailing-list, with 2267 messages posted in October, and
November well on its way to pass 2000 again. Some of those are just
off-topic (and I've been regularly fighting against them) but most of
them are just about us covering an ever-increasing scope, stretching the
definition of what we include in "openstack development".

Therefore I'd like to propose a split between two lists:

*openstack-dev*: Discussions on future development for OpenStack
official projects

*stackforge-dev*: Discussions on development for stackforge-hosted projects

Non-official "OpenStack-related" projects would get discussed in
stackforge-dev (or any other list of their preference), while
openstack-dev would be focused on openstack official programs (including
incubated & integrated projects).

That means discussion about Solum, Mistral, Congress or Murano
(stackforge/* repos in gerrit) would now live on stackforge-dev.
Discussions about Glance, TripleO or Oslo libraries (openstack*/* repos
on gerrit) would happen on openstack-dev. This will allow easier
filtering and prioritization; OpenStack developers interested in
tracking promising stackforge projects would subscribe to both lists.

That will not solve all issues. We should also collectively make sure
that *usage questions are re-routed* to the openstack general
mailing-list, where they belong. Too many people still answer off-topic
questions here on openstack-dev, which encourages people to be off-topic
in the future (traffic on the openstack general ML has been mostly
stable, with only 868 posts in October). With those actions, I hope that
traffic on openstack-dev would drop back to the 1000-1500 range, which
would be more manageable for everyone.

Thoughts ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)