[openstack-dev] [heat][mistral] EventScheduler vs Mistral scheduling

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Nov 14 11:03:41 UTC 2013

On 14/11/13 11:29, Renat Akhmerov wrote:
> As for EventScheduler proposal, I think it actually fits Mistral model
> very well. What described in EvenScheduler is basically the ability to
> configure webhooks to be called periodically or at a certain time. First
> of all, from the very beginning the concept of scheduling has been
> considered a very important capability of Mistral. And from Mistral
> perspective calling a webhook is just a workflow consisting of one task.
> In order to simplify consumption of the service we can implement API
> methods to work specifically with webhooks in a convenient way (without
> providing any workflow definitions using DSL etc.). I have already
> suggested before that we can provide API shortcuts for scheduling
> individual tasks rather than complex workflows so it has an adjacent
> meaning.
>
> I other words, I now tend to think it doesn’t make sense to have
> EventScheduler a standalone service.

I tend to agree. What OpenStack doesn't yet have is a language for
defining actions (Heat explicitly avoids this). This is required to
define what to do in both a workflow task and a scheduled task and we
only want to define it once, so workflow-as-a-service and
cron-as-a-service (yeah, I know, people hate it when I call it that) are
closely related at that level. Given this, it seems easiest to make the
latter a feature of the former. I can easily imagine that you'll want to
include scheduled tasks in your workflows too.

What might be a downside is that sharing a back-end may not be
technically convenient - one thing we have been reminded of in Heat is
that a service with timed tasks has to be scaled out in a completely
different way to a service that avoids them. This may or may not be an
issue for Mistral, but it could be resolved by having different back-end
services that communicate over RPC. The front-end API can remain shared
though.

cheers,
Zane.