[openstack-dev] RFC: reverse the default Gerrit sort order

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 06:44:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>wrote:

> I've been thinking about review queues recently (since here at the
> summit everyone is talking about reviews! :)).
>
> One thing that struck me today was that Gerrit makes it easier to
> review the newest changes first, rather than the changes that have
> been in the queue longest, or the changes that started going through
> the review process first.
>
> So... is it possible to change the default sort order for Gerrit? How
> hard is it to do - could we do an experiment on that and see if it
> nudges the dial for reviewstats (just make the change, not ask anyone
> to change their behaviour)?
>
> As for what sort order to choose, I'd be happy just getting data on a
> different default sort order - it seems like the easiest thing would
> be to reverse the current order, vs doing something more
> sophisticated.
>
> If folk are about to jump up and say 'hey, reviewday' or 'hey
> next-review' : I specifically want to see what the effect on changing
> the Gerrit web UI is, because my sense is that that is the default
> place folk do reviews, and I want to change the default-experience
> folk have, not the optional experience folk can opt into.
>
> -Rob
>
> --
> Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
> Distinguished Technologist
> HP Converged Cloud

I tend to use this review priority page [1], which appears to give a higher
score to things by age (according to the cinder listing the oldest one has
no bp or bug and is on the top), bp priority, and bug priority.

Now this doesn't stop people from grabbing the first thing on gerrit
reviews, but perhaps we can encourage better practices by where people
usually start [2] and maybe a link to good review workflows [3] on gerrit
itself?

[1] - http://status.openstack.org/reviews
[2] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/How_To_Contribute
[3] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReviewWorkflowTips