[openstack-dev] Proposal to recognize indirect contributions to our code base

Stangel, Dan dan.stangel at hp.com
Wed Nov 13 21:16:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 15:20 +0100, Nicolas Barcet wrote:

> To enable this, we are proposing that the commit text of a patch may
> include a
>    sponsored-by: <sponsorname>
> line which could be used by various tools to report on these commits.
>  Sponsored-by should not be used to report on the name of the company
> the contributor is already affiliated to.
>
> We would appreciate to see your comments on the subject and eventually
> get your approval for it's use.

Rather than including this sponsor information directly in commit logs,
the metrics tools could attribute specific changesets to a different
organization.  This would override the normal attribution that the
metrics tools would otherwise make based solely on the committer's own
affiliation.

gitdm already special-cases some commits. For example, we do this to
completely omit changesets that should not be counted towards
contribution metrics, such as automated commits from Jenkins or
translations [1].   Stackalytics has a similar mechanism [2], and
activity.openstack.org (metrics-grimoire) may also provide similar
functionality.

This approach moves the recognition completely out of band from the git
commit, and closer to where (presumably) it will be recognized by the
community and the sponsor.  Yet it would allows special attributions to
be transparently documented and maintained by, and within, the
community.

Dan

[1]
https://github.com/openstack-infra/gitdm/blob/master/openstack-config/grizzly - the list of commit IDs in parentheses are omitted from metrics totals