[openstack-dev] Proposal to recognize indirect contributions to our code base

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Nov 13 00:56:22 UTC 2013

On 11/12/2013 01:58 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> This proposal raises several questions.
>
> (1) Is it a good idea to allow giving credit to patch sponsors
>
> On one hand, this encourages customers of OpenStack service companies to
> fund sending back bugfixes and features upstream.

Does it? I'm trying to wrap my head around this topic since Nick
mentioned it to me in Hong Kong. I am not sure that companies being
serviced would have an increased incentive to upstream their code.

I'd love to spend more time framing the problem as precisely as we can
before heading down the path to find a solution.

Why are customers of Mirantis, enovance, aptira, etc not willing to pay
them to contribute patches upstream?

/stef