[openstack-dev] Alembic or SA Migrate (again)

Herndon, John Luke john.herndon at hp.com
Tue Nov 12 22:58:57 UTC 2013

Hi Folks!

Sorry to dig up a really old topic, but I¹d like to know the status of
ceilometer db migrations.

I¹d like to submit two branches to modify the Event and Trait tables. If I
were to do that now, I would need to write SQLAlchemy scripts to do the
database migration - (background:
https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/alembic/issue/21/column-renames-not-supported-
on-sqlite). Since the unit tests use db migrations to build up the db
schema, there¹s currently no way to get the unit tests to run if your new
code uses an alembic migration and needs to alter columnsŠ which mine does
:(

A couple of questions:
1) What is the progress of creating the schema from the models for unit
tests?
2) What is the time frame for requiring alembic migrations?
3) Should I push these branches up now, or wait and use an alembic
migration?
4) Is there anything I can do to help with 1 or 2?

Thanks!
-john

Related threads:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-August/014214.html