[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Need help with Alembic...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 17:34:05 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong with my code for this patch:

https://review.openstack.org/41316

I had previously added a sqlalchemy-migrate migration script to add an
event_type table, and had that working, but then was asked to instead
use Alembic for migrations. So, I removed the sqlalchemy-migrate
migration file and added an Alembic migration [1].

Unfortunately, I am getting the following error when running tests:

OperationalError: (OperationalError) table event_type already exists
u'\nCREATE TABLE event_type (\n\tid INTEGER NOT NULL, \n\t"desc"
VARCHAR(255), \n\tPRIMARY KEY (id), \n\tUNIQUE ("desc")\n)\n\n' ()

The migration adds the event_type table. I've seen this error occur
before when using SQLite due to SQLite's ALTER TABLE statement not
allowing the rename of a column. In the sqlalchemy-migrate migration, I
had a specialized SQLite migration upgrade [2] and downgrade [3] script,
but I'm not sure how I am supposed to handle this in Alembic. Could
someone help me out?

Thanks,
-jay

[1]