[openstack-dev] [openstack][metering] Contributing to ceilometer while participating in GSoC

Julie Pichon jpichon at redhat.com
Tue Nov 12 11:08:09 UTC 2013

Hi Ajay,

"Ajay Phogat" <letsgotry7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I am a student of Computer Science and have learnt some basics of OpenStack
> for implementing one of my projects in college. While learning about
> OpenStack, I came to know about the metering project, ceilometer.
>
> I would love to contribute to ceilometer, which according to
> ohloh<http://www.ohloh.net/p?ref=homepage&q=ceilometer> has
> 88 contributors presently. Also, I wanted to participate in Google Summer
> of Code while being associated with ceilometer. I wanted to know if
> contributing to ceilometer can be a valid project for GSoC.

Thanks for your interest in OpenStack and Ceilometer, that's great! Many
members of the community were away in Hong Kong for the OpenStack Summit last
week, sorry for the delay.

OpenStack has never participated in GSoC before - we never quite managed to
match the organisation requirements in time for the deadline. Maybe this will
change next year but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. I still encourage you
to get involved with the community even outside of a program like GSoC. There's
a lot of things we could use your help with!

Maybe a current Ceilometer contributor can point you toward a suitable first
task, in the meantime there's a lot of information you can read about to get
yourself started contributing: see [0] to learn the general OpenStack
contribution guidelines, [1] for finding something small to work on that you
find interesting, [2] to get an OpenStack dev environment set up in a VM.

Consider also popping by on IRC [3], on #openstack-metering for Ceilometer
related questions and #openstack-101 if you encounter any hiccup getting
started contributing. There are lots of people happy to help and guide you!

Kind regards,

Julie

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HowToContribute
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/