[openstack-dev] Bad review patterns

Christopher Armstrong chris.armstrong at rackspace.com
Wed Nov 6 17:11:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Radomir Dopieralski
<openstack at sheep.art.pl>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm quite new in the OpenStack project, but I love it already. What is
> especially nifty is the automated review system -- I'm really impressed.
> I'm coming from a project in which we also did reviews of every change
> -- although it was mostly manual, and just one review was enough to
> merge -- and at some point in that project I noticed that it is very
> easy to give reviews that are unhelpful, frustrating and just get in the
> way of the actual work. I started paying attention to how I am reviewing
> code, and I managed to come up with several patterns that are bad. Once
> I know the patterns, it's easier to recognize when I'm doing something
> wrong and rethink the review. I would like to share the patterns that I
> noticed.

Agreed on all points. I think Gerrit is nice in that it automates a lot of
stuff, but unfortunately the workflow has not encouraged the best behavior
for reviewers. This is a good list to follow -- but how can we be sure
people will? This mailing list thread will only be seen by a small number
of reviewers over the life of the project, I'm sure.

--
IRC: radix
Christopher Armstrong