[openstack-dev] [Heat] Network topologies

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Tue Nov 5 02:54:32 UTC 2013

On Nov 4, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Kyle Mestery (kmestery)'s message of 2013-11-05 06:35:04 +0800:
>> On Nov 2, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I looked at the detailed API specification submitted by Edgar.
>>> I think that the document Edgar shared does a fine job in discussion how an API for managing logical topologies should work.
>>> On the other hand, there are two aspects which still need some clarification, and which perhaps are at the source of the confusion regarding whether it belongs to neutron, heat, or anywhere else.
>>>
>>> First, the "use cases" section merely re-states the objective session. I think that section should somehow address the questions "why do we need this API?" "How having an API for storing network topologies would be useful for us".
>>>
>>> The other aspect is that - and I might be terribly wrong here - I think that one of the goals Neutron API was already supposed to abstract the complexity of network topologies - if we need another API (or perhaps more aptly an extension of the Neutron API) to satisfy this goal, does this mean the Neutron API is failing in one of its main goals?
>>>

>> Not to hijack this thread, but this is exactly the reason Cisco, IBM, Juniper, Nuage Networks, Plexxi, Red Hat and others are proposing the following BP at the Summit this week [1]. I think as you will read in the BP the abstractions of the Neutron API can be extended such that it removes some of the complexity for API users. We have a session Friday afternoon in the Neutron track to discuss these in fact. Looking forwarding to a lively discussion!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kyle
>>
>> [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZbOFxAoibZbJmDWx1oOrOsDcov6Cuom5aaBIrupCD9E/edit?pli=1
>>

> Hi Kyle, can you copy this to etherpad.openstack.org and link it from
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Summit/Icehouse/Etherpads

Hi Clint:

I've already posted an etherpad there, it's in fact at this link [1]. I've copied some notes there, it's hard to translate the diagrams but what I've put in there is enough to get the discussion going on Friday.

Thanks,
Kyle

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Group_Based_Policy_Abstraction_for_Neutron