[openstack-dev] [summit] Youtube stream from Design Summit?

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Fri Nov 1 19:40:44 UTC 2013

On 2013/01/11 18:42, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 05:33 AM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
>> I was wondering, since there is a lot of people who cannot attend Design
>> Sessions, if we can help them to be present at least in some way.
> We tried in the past to setup systems to enable remote participation in
> a generic way (give a URL per each session and hope somebody joins it
> from remote) but never had enough return to justify the effort put in
> the production.
>
> I'd be interested to learn about your experiments: are you thinking of
> some specific set of people that you need to get involved remotely or
> you just want to provide the remote URL for anybody that wants to join?
>
> /stef

I'll try to be more specific.

I started to think about that because there are definitely people who
are interested in sessions but they cannot attend from various reasons.
It is also worth to document discussions. I know that we keep etherpads,
but it can happen that they might miss some details or actually good
thoughts which were mentioned during conversations.

Since I have quite good experience with using these hangouts on air, I
wanted to propose it as a general way how to get our sessions more
accessible. Lot of people are asking how they can get more involved and
I received very positive feedback for streaming; so I believe that the
audience is definitely there.

I think what we can do (and it won't take a lot of extra effort) is:
* Setup a Google+ account (if not already existing)
* Before session, log in and start hangout on air:
https://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/onair.html
* Copy&Paste youtube stream link to official etherpad
* Point webcam to the right spot
* Right before the session press 'Start broadcast'
* People who are interested in the session just follow the link (stream)
* Stop broadcasting in the end of session.

Concerns:
- 10 people for hangout (but no limitation for youtube streaming)
- Stream is delayed about 30 seconds from reality (more difficult
interaction for Q&A)
- I am not sure about acoustic conditions, if discussions will be loud
enough (hope it will be fine).

I would like to try this at least in sessions which I am leading (and
use my youtube's channel), but I believe that this is very beneficial
for all projects and sessions. It might be on moderators responsibility
to take care about that, or it can be globally setup for each hall.

The interaction with remote people might be a bit difficult - delay,
volume, etc. So the question is, if at this run we will be trying to
setup something how people can interact remotely or we just do streaming
and prepare ourselves better for the following summit if we get positive
feedback.

Possible ways of remote interaction:
- direct hangout participation (key people)
- questions/comments section in etherpad (delay, more difficult to
follow - might need some assistant for tracking them)

What do you think?
-- Jarda