[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] testr and sqlalchemy ...

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed May 22 11:38:43 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 07:02 AM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On 21/05/13 23:50 -0300, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>> Howdy ....
>>
>> Given the timezone changes on this project I thought I'd send this to
>> the list in hopes someone will see it overnight.
>>
>> I was close to getting my branch landed when a rebase brought the testr
>> changes in ... https://review.openstack.org/#/c/29047/
>>
>> Now, my tests are failing in an odd way (and they used to pass).
>>
>> The errors are all of this form:
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/37560/
>>
>> I've investigated and it seemed to be related to sqlalchemy and eventlet:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9525220/sqlalchemy-raises-none-causes-typeerror
>>

>> and I thought that perhaps the testr patch is doing something funky with
>> eventlet that isn't making sqlalchemy happy.
>>
>> But when I apply the 'raise e' patch as suggested, it shows the
>> underlying issue as being:
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/37563/
>>
>> Which might suggest the migrations aren't being set up correctly?
>> (odd as the other sqlalchemy tests are passing)
>>
>> I'm sort of stumped here ... suggestions?
>
> Hi Sandy,
>
> I ran tox and testr run ~ 50 times on my laptop (with your patch).
> There was no issue with tox but for some reason I got some
> errors using testr run (I don't think they are related to
> what you are seeing).
>
> https://review.openstack.org/30077
> https://review.openstack.org/30078
>
> Are you using tox or "testr run" directly?
> If you are using "testr run" try
> testr run --concurrency=1

Actually, I'd really recommend doing:

testr run --concurrency=32

In the conversion of any unit tests you'll find people were very bad
about keeping the tests issolated from each other. Driving the
concurrency up will expose those breaks early, otherwise they'll show up
at some statistical rate in the future when tests are reordered be
subsequent runs.

Those fails are real bugs in our tests. If nose changed hash ordering
they'd show up there as well. Best to drive out the test bugs now.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net