[openstack-dev] [Nova][Quantum] Move quantum port creation to nova-api

Henry Gessau gessau at cisco.com
Thu May 16 14:49:46 UTC 2013

I was envisioning a future with something along the lines of:

    QoS has been implemented in quantum.
    The provider has set up some service levels with guaranteed bandwidth,
      e.g. Bronze = 10 Mbit/s, Silver = 50 Mbit/s, Gold = 250 Mbit/s
    A tenant wants to deploy an instance with one Gold port.

If quantum manages bandwidth and nova-compute knows nothing about it, then
nova could try to send the instance to a compute node where there is not 250
Mbit/s of guaranteed bandwidth available and quantum would fail it. This is
what we'd like to avoid, right?

Maybe this is a generic problem for nova? Maybe nova should maintain a
complete list/dict of quota items, like cores, memory, disk, ports,
bandwidth, etc. Some of them nova would set up itself, others would be
created/populated/updated by other components via some registration
mechanism. I know nothing about how nova works so I am probably not making
sense.