[openstack-dev] How to guarantee success of the I Design Summit in HK

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu May 16 08:59:53 UTC 2013

David Kranz wrote:
> I disagree. Although I am one of the ~5 now, I was not at my first
> summit in Boston. But being in the back was an extremely valuable
> experience.
> Some of the "critical" participants a year or two from now may be
> sitting in the back this time, but we don't now which ones.

That's precisely why rotating the location every 6 months (once per year
in the US, once per year in the rest of the world) is good: it gives an
opportunity for everyone to join and step up.

I agree that it's great to have those open design summits and give
everyone a chance to participate and become a critical member of our
community... but I think as long as we have enough of the existing
critical people in, rotating the rest of the attendance is beneficial
rather than detrimental.

The trick with remote attendance is that unless you build a stellar
experience (which is extremely hard for more than a couple of remote
participants), you make it useless for remote participants and a hassle
for local participants.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack