[openstack-dev] How to guarantee success of the I Design Summit in HK

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed May 15 21:57:45 UTC 2013

On 05/15/2013 02:21 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> We already know some people won't be able to join us, but in the
> same way we already knew some people would not be able to join us for
> all the previous summits held in the US. For example traveling to US
> west coast has always been an issue for some Europeans. This sudden
> concern about summits happening far away sounds very... US-centric to
> me.

My intention is to make sure that the next Design Summit is successful.
Remote participation in Portland was dismissed rapidly and consensus was
reached with a 'don't bother' verdict.  This time I've noticed people
being more 'nervous' and I want to make sure we're on the same page
before making a decision that need not to be improvised.

> I'd definitely like to make sure we'll have enough of the "critical"
> set of people present, which is a bit difficult to evaluate (what
> makes you "critical" ?). In most sessions, the discussion happens
> between ~5 critical participants, with the rest of the attendance
> mostly listening or maybe asking a question. If we can have those 5
> critical participants present, I think the summit will work as
> intended.

ACK

Anybody has different opinions on this? Tech leads and 'core' developers
especially if you disagree, please share your thoughts.

> There is (always) a risk that some discussions will be missing a
> critical participant, so having a technical solution allowing that
> person to call in the room (think conference phones) sounds like a
> nice backup solution.

We can talk about technical solutions later, once we have clearer the
frame of the issue to solve.

Thanks,
/stef