[openstack-dev] How to guarantee success of the I Design Summit in HK

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 15 09:21:31 UTC 2013

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> a few people asked how we're going to help the people that used to go to
> the Design Summit sessions and won't be able to participate in person in
> Hong Kong.

We already know some people won't be able to join us, but in the same
way we already knew some people would not be able to join us for all the
previous summits held in the US. For example traveling to US west coast
has always been an issue for some Europeans. This sudden concern about
summits happening far away sounds very... US-centric to me.

The trick is to have enough of the developers that are essential to
sessions present, so we can have productive discussions and a useful
summit. Beyond that, I wouldn't mind so much if we trade a few US or
European participants for a larger APAC community participation, once
every two years.

> This is a difficult problem and I don't have a definitive answer for
> that, yet. My main concern is that we don't know how big this issue is,
> if it exists at all.

I'd definitely like to make sure we'll have enough of the "critical" set
of people present, which is a bit difficult to evaluate (what makes you
"critical" ?). In most sessions, the discussion happens between ~5
critical participants, with the rest of the attendance mostly listening
or maybe asking a question. If we can have those 5 critical participants
present, I think the summit will work as intended.

There is (always) a risk that some discussions will be missing a
critical participant, so having a technical solution allowing that
person to call in the room (think conference phones) sounds like a nice
backup solution.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)