[openstack-dev] [Heat] Introducing heat-templates

Randall Burt randall.burt at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue May 14 15:10:05 UTC 2013

On May 14, 2013, at 9:59 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com>
 wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I wanted to communicate a recent change we've made on the Heat project,
> which has moved our example/demo templates and associated tools into a new
> repository:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates
>
> Contributions and fixes can be provided via gerrit, using the same workflow
> as we do for code:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow
>
> We've also created a new project in Launchpad, so we can track
> template-related issues and features separately from the main codebase:
>
> https://launchpad.net/heat-templates
>
> All of our documentation and wiki pages *should* now point to the new repo,
> but if you do find any stale references to the old in-tree templates, please
> do let us know :)
>
> The initial aim of this repository is to provide working examples, which
> demonstrate core Heat features, and also to provide a platform for easier
> collaboration while we work through the design process for the proposed new
> DSL/HOT template format.
>
> I'd also be keen to see some discussion about what the scope should be for the
> target audience, ie if this could be an appropriate place to grow a community
> of testers and template-authors and promote collaboration and reuse beyond
> developers writing test/demo templates - some discussion in #heat recently
> indicates this may be a topic people are interested in debating :)

+1 to this, though I think we'd want to separate "supported" examples used for testing/validation from contributed templates. Should these contributed templates be limited to using resources provided in the core distribution or can they include optional resource plug-ins (from Stackforge for example)? Personally I think it would be fine as long as the all resources used are publicly available.