[openstack-dev] [Heat / Curvature] - UI for Horizon

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu May 9 09:45:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 10:31:52PM +0000, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> Here's the roadmap on this topic as it stands:
>
> D3.js is in the process of being incorporated, and the team at Cisco that built Curvature is interested in combining some of the client-side know-how they've developed by building Curvature with the existing editable network topology code the folks at NTT and NEC built in Horizon, and combining all of that with what Heat wants to do to produce something AWESOME and very much in the Curvature style but built on the existing OpenStack APIs rather than the Ruby backend (Donabe).
>
> Fortunately the "nested stacks"/"recursive containers" work is separate from the interface work, and that's primarily the part that was written in Ruby (Donabe). Heat is investigating that area with other DSLs such as TOSCA/OASIS (forgive me if I'm wrong there), and we'll eventually all arrive in the same place.

As previously stated[1] Heat already supports nested/recursive stacks, and
I'm still not clear if "recursive containers" is the same thing or not, my
assumption currently is that it is.

The DSL/Providers discussion is about allowing users to specify custom
resource types via templates (which is really just an extension to our
current nested stack interface), so maybe that does map more closely to the
definition of "recursive containers", or does it really mean inheritance?

As you say Gabriel, hopefully over time the terminology and concepts will
converge.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-April/007327.html