[openstack-dev] [diskimage-builder] can't boot ubuntu image

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed May 1 05:07:01 UTC 2013

On 1 May 2013 12:32, Dmitry Mescheryakov <dmescheryakov at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I've tried to build a plain Ubuntu image with diskimage-buider. The image
> was built successfully, but I can't boot an instance with it. Command to
> build image:
> bin/disk-image-create vm ubuntu -o ubuntu-test
>
> When I create an OpenStack instance, I can see via VNC that it hangs on boot
> with message "Booting from Hard Disk..."
> Meanwhile .qcow2 images from http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com work fine on the
> cluster.
>
> I've tried booting the same image on my machine with KVM. The VNC showed the
> same output and the following message was printed in the console:
> qemu-system-x86_64: pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile
> "pxe-rtl8139.bin"
>
> Also I've tried changing 'ubuntu' element to use stable 12.04.2 release
> instead of latest Quantal, but that didn't change anything.
>
> Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

That will have built an Ubuntu image with the same arch as your host
system. Is your VM host - the nova compute node / KVM the same arch?
E.g. if you built an amd64 image, you need to boot it on an amd64 virt
host.

Failing that, if the last output is 'Booting from hard disk', that
suggests that the boot block in the vm may be at fault : does grub
show up? Could you attach the build log from the image creation?
(stdout, stderr).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>