[openstack-dev] [diskimage-builder] can't boot ubuntu image

Dmitry Mescheryakov dmescheryakov at mirantis.com
Wed May 1 00:32:24 UTC 2013

Hello folks,

I've tried to build a plain Ubuntu image with diskimage-buider. The image
was built successfully, but I can't boot an instance with it. Command to
build image:
bin/disk-image-create vm ubuntu -o ubuntu-test

When I create an OpenStack instance, I can see via VNC that it hangs on
boot with message "Booting from Hard Disk..."
Meanwhile .qcow2 images from http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com work fine on
the cluster.

I've tried booting the same image on my machine with KVM. The VNC showed
the same output and the following message was printed in the console:
qemu-system-x86_64: pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile
"pxe-rtl8139.bin"

Also I've tried changing 'ubuntu' element to use stable 12.04.2 release
instead of latest Quantal, but that didn't change anything.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Dmitry