[openstack-dev] pep8 pinning in requirements

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 20 18:27:11 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-20 13:38:30 -0400 (-0400), Chuck Short wrote:
> In Ubuntu at least it is required by our main inclusion to run
> available tests of the testsuites that is available to particular
> a given project during the project build.

Many other software projects simply enforce these sorts of policies
in a commit hook. We happen to have a very flexible testing and
gating system, and leverage that to also apply our style checks
because it's convenient for OpenStack. Tools like pep8, pyflakes, et
al are not regression tests, unit tests, integration tests or
anything else someone might ever want to run on code they're not
trying to submit for code review. Just running it "because it's
there" is a bad policy. If these style checks return a
recommendation on code we've already committed, all that tells you
is that you're not running the same versions of them in the same
manner as when that code was originally committed--it doesn't seem
like useful information for you to act on, as a packager or as an
end user... it's just wasted cycles on a CPU at that point.
--
Jeremy Stanley