[openstack-dev] pep8 pinning in requirements

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Mar 20 18:57:22 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Chuck Short's message of 2013-03-20 10:38:30 -0700:
> On 13-03-20 01:27 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> >>
> >> I do think it always should be this way, and not only with pep8, but
> >> with as much python tools as possible, including all the test suite.

> >> Well, from a distribution standpoint, imposing such a restrictive
> >> build-dependency is just crazy. In Debian, there's either pep8 1.2 (in
> >> Wheezy which is frozen) or 1.4.4 (in SID). It's like that, and it wont
> >> change soon, unless there is a new upstream release. There will never be
> >> a 1.3.3. This kind of situation is likely to happen in other
> >> distributions than Debian.

> >> Then pep8 is either a bad software, or it isn't updated to Openstack.
> >> IMO, it should always be backward compatible, and be able to validate
> >> the same old code it did validate few versions ago.

> >> PLEASE DON'T !!!
> >>
> >> Openstack already made my Debian package maintainer life miserable,
> >> because there was only version 1.2 in SID. I don't want to have to spend
> >> my life convincing the maintainer of pep8 to upload a new release.
> >>
> >> Now, imagine if all upstream authors were thinking like Openstack. The
> >> only way to be able to use pep8 would be to have as many version of pep8
> >> in Debian as there is upstream project using it.
> >
> > So, I'm confused....
> >
> > As a packager you are re-running the development internal style
> > checkers on released code? and if so, why?
> >
> > I can understand rerunning unit tests to make sure that you didn't
> > break function in patching openstack, but I actually don't understand
> > at all why you'd run style enforcement on code during packaging.
> >
> >     -Sean
> >
> Hi
>
> In Ubuntu at least it is required by our main inclusion  to run
> available tests of the testsuites that is available to particular a
> given project during the project build.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements

"If the package ships a test suite, and there is no obvious reason why
it cannot work during build (e. g. it needs root privileges or network
access), it should be run during package build, and a failing test suite
should fail the build."

It is not required. The intent is to ensure quality, not to blindly run
everything upstream does.