[openstack-dev] IMPORTANT reminder about the new CLA process

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Mar 4 14:25:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-04 12:11:14 +0100 (+0100), Zane Bitter wrote:
> A few notes I made that might prove helpful:

Yes, very helpful--thanks! I'll elaborate a bit inline.

>  - At the top of the CLA there's a whole spiel that is related to
> the old EchoSign process (you'll receive an email, must click the
> link, &c.) and no longer applies. To reduce confusion, it should be
> removed.

I don't see that at the top of the current ICLA served from
Gerrit...

    https://review.openstack.org/static/cla.html

It does appear further down because everything after the end of
section #9 is a verbatim quote of the old (Echosign-based) OpenStack
LLC license referred to there...

    "as defined in the LLC Contribution License Agreement below"

We could probably do some minor formatting tweaks to make it more
obvious that the blockquote is distinct, but its indentation already
lines up with the indentation of the section #9 text as it is.

>  - It wasn't clear to me that the contact details were required, and
> indeed accepting the CLA succeeded without them, but I couldn't push
> code until I added them. (Maybe chalk this up to my lack of reading
> comprehension, but there you have it.)

Yes, Gerrit handles contact information and CLA signing as separate
processes. You can perform either task without doing the other, but
both need to be completed before you are able to push commits for
review. It tries to be sane by providing you with the contact
information fields on the CLA signing page if you haven't previously
entered any, which makes it seem more directly connected than it is.
I think the error messages from Gerrit's SSH Git service to a fairly
decent job of pointing you in the right direction since they differ
depending on which tasks have not been completed.

>  - When I went to update my Contact Information in the Settings, it
> insisted that I set my *preferred* email to the one I used to join
> the foundation. Surely if any of the registered emails are in the
> foundation membership list then that should be sufficient? (Note to
> others having this problem: after adding contact details, you can
> change your preferred email back again provided that you leave the
> other contact details fields blank while doing so).

It is unfortunately tied to the "Preferred Email" selected on the
Gerrit Contact Information Page and we can't do a lot about that,
but as you point out it only matters at the moment the contact
information is submitted and can be changed back to whatever you
like immediately after. As to it not successfully matching against
an entry in the list of E-mail addresses on your Foundation Profile
page, I'll bring that up with Todd. I think we would like the
flexibility if it's not too hard for him to implement.
--
Jeremy Stanley