[openstack-dev] [nova] Making logging more modular

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Jun 26 13:03:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew <
matthew.macdonald-wallace at hp.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One of the things we'd like to start thinking about is having the ability
> to log to multiple destinations at the same time.
>
> This would include a move towards making the logging section of Nova more
> like the API and Network sections in that the end user would be able to
> include multiple logging "engines" simply by specifying them in the log
> file.
>
> Our current use case is that we want to be able to log to SYSLOG at one
> level (DEBUG) and have errors reported to Sentry [0] at another
> (WARN|ERROR) without writing complex code that analyses syslog and then
> pushes to sentry.
>
> In future, we may want to send all our logs that are WARN to one location
> (Hadoop or similar?), ERR to another location (Monitoring?) and store the
> last "n" hours of debug on local disk or some other crazy configuration -
> moving to modular logging would enable us to do all these things.
>
> I've not created a blueprint yet for this because I thought it best to
> test the water first - is this something that others in the community would
> be interested in seeing/working on?

Python's logging module supports this sort of thing by specifying different
log handlers for different named loggers and log levels. The Oslo log
module exposes these configuration settings through the --log-config
option, so it is possible for a deployer to use Python's built-in file
configuration to completely override the way any OpenStack component logs.

Do you foresee needing to do any work beyond creating hadoop and/or sentry
log handlers? Am I misunderstanding what you  intend about including
logging "engines" in the configuration file?

Doug