[openstack-dev] [nova] Making logging more modular

Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew matthew.macdonald-wallace at hp.com
Wed Jun 26 10:31:09 UTC 2013

Hi all,

One of the things we'd like to start thinking about is having the ability to log to multiple destinations at the same time.

This would include a move towards making the logging section of Nova more like the API and Network sections in that the end user would be able to include multiple logging "engines" simply by specifying them in the log file.

Our current use case is that we want to be able to log to SYSLOG at one level (DEBUG) and have errors reported to Sentry [0] at another (WARN|ERROR) without writing complex code that analyses syslog and then pushes to sentry.

In future, we may want to send all our logs that are WARN to one location (Hadoop or similar?), ERR to another location (Monitoring?) and store the last "n" hours of debug on local disk or some other crazy configuration - moving to modular logging would enable us to do all these things.

I've not created a blueprint yet for this because I thought it best to test the water first - is this something that others in the community would be interested in seeing/working on?

Kind regards,

Matt

[0] http://www.getsentry.com/