[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Code review I7ec346db: Improve usability when backdoor_port is nonzero

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Thu Jun 13 17:49:23 UTC 2013

1) Change the backdoor_port configuration option to a boolean named enabled_backdoor and always use a port number of 0.  I don't like this solution.
2) Change the backdoor_port configuration option name to backdoor_starting_port and find a non-conflicting port by iteratively incrementing the port number until an unused port is found.  The first service gets backdoor_starting_port and the second service likely gets backdoor_starting_port+1 and so on.

For TCP, I prefer the port-0 approach, but there would need to be a way to determine which port the backdoor is listening on. I think having this represented in logs would be sufficient.

However, has anyone considered simply switching to Unix domain sockets? You'd no longer be able to use a telnet client, nor could you connect remotely, but tools like 'socat' could be used to connect instead (from the local host).

--
Eric Windisch