[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Code review I7ec346db: Improve usability when backdoor_port is nonzero

Ray Pekowski pekowski at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 17:29:35 UTC 2013

I suppose that since my patch for this code review was given a -2 it needs
to be discussed in this mailing list.

The code review addresses this as a usability problem, but perhaps by
approaching it as a bug fix, the community will be more amenable to the
proposed solution.  The bug is the failure of enabling the eventlet
backdoor functionality on all but the first service that comes up when the
backdoor_port is configured to be anything other than 0.  Why provide an
option that will 100% fail in a common situation (more than one service)
unless one specific value is configured?

I see two solutions:

1) Change the backdoor_port configuration option to a boolean named
enabled_backdoor and always use a port number of 0.  I don't like this
solution.
2) Change the backdoor_port configuration option name to
backdoor_starting_port and find a non-conflicting port by iteratively
incrementing the port number until an unused port is found.  The first
service gets backdoor_starting_port and the second service likely gets
backdoor_starting_port+1 and so on.

I like the second option.  I have submitted a new patch that implements it
and logs a message about backdoor_port being deprecated if it is found.

Please evaluate whether this new patch removes the objection that raised
the -2, namely that using a port number other than the one specified on the
backdoor_port would be unexpected and bad behavior.

Ray