[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Cinder] Driver qualification

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Fri Jul 26 00:44:12 UTC 2013

Hey Everyone,

Something I've been kicking around for quite a while now but never really
been able to get around to is the idea of requiring that drivers in Cinder
run a qualification test and submit results prior to introduction in to
Cinder.

To elaborate a bit, the idea could start as something really simple like
the following:
1. We'd add a functional_qual option/script to devstack

2. Driver maintainer runs this script to setup devstack and configure it to
use their backend device on their own system.

3. Script does the usual devstack install/configure and runs the volume
pieces of the Tempest gate tests.

4. Grabs output and checksums of the directories in the devstack and
/opt/stack directories, bundles up the results for submission

5. Maintainer submits results

So why would we do this you ask?  Cinder is pretty heavy on the third party
driver plugin model which is fantastic.  On the other hand while there are
a lot of folks who do great reviews that catch things like syntax or logic
errors in the code, and unit tests do a reasonable job of exercising the
code it's difficult for folks to truly verify these devices all work.

I think it would be a very useful tool for initial introduction of a new
driver and even perhaps some sort of check that's run and submitted again
prior to milestone releases.

This would also drive some more activity and contribution in to Tempest
with respect to getting folks like myself motivated to contribute more
tests (particularly in terms of new functionality) in to Tempest.

I'd be interested to hear if folks have any interest or strong opinions on
this (positive or otherwise).  I know that some vendors like RedHat have
this sort of thing in place for certifications, and to be honest that
observation is something that caused me to start thinking about this again.

There are a lot of gaps here regarding how the submission process would
look, but we could start relatively simple and grow from there if it's
valuable or just abandon the idea if it proves to be unpopular and a waste
of time.

Anyway, I'd love to get feed-back from folks and see what they think.

Thanks,
John