[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Cinder] Driver qualification

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 01:05:09 UTC 2013

On 07/25/2013 08:44 PM, John Griffith wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> Something I've been kicking around for quite a while now but never
> really been able to get around to is the idea of requiring that drivers
> in Cinder run a qualification test and submit results prior to
> introduction in to Cinder.

In general, a big +1 from me.  I've been thinking about similar things
for nova.  I think it's fair to set some requirements that ensure a base
level of functionality, quality, and a reasonably consistent user
experience.

I've been thinking along these lines for Nova, as well.  I also want to
require ongoing testing.  We have a wide range of functional test
coverage of the existing compute drivers [1].  I'd like to only accept
drivers if there is some sort of CI running against it with results that
are publicly available (Group A or B in [1]).  I posted about this a bit
before [2].

I really like the other thing Cinder has started doing, which is
requiring a base feature set for all drivers [3].  I'd like to do the
same for Nova, but haven't come up with a formalized proposal yet.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-July/011260.html
[3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-July/012119.html

--