[openstack-dev] Program Description for OpenStack QA

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jul 15 12:07:10 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 07:46 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
>>> The OpenStack QA program starts with 2 git trees
>>>   * tempest - https://github.com/openstack/tempest
>>>   * grenade - https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade
>>
>> I haven't read the full discussion on this so apologies if I am
>> missing something, but why devstack is no part of this?
>
> Devstack falls somewhere between QA and Infrastructure... We raised
> briefly the subject of where we should attach it during the initial
> discussion on programs, then punted for later discussion.
>
> It falls in the same bucket as other "central" repositories like
> openstack/requirements -- everyone ends up contributing to those so it's
> difficult to attach them to any given program/team.

Right, devstack's primary mission is still providing development
environments to developers. We reuse it in QA and Infra, but it's kind
of a different beast.

So for now it just remains what it is, which I think is fine. I think
it's good to be pragmatic about Programs and only fit the git trees that
naturally fit into them, and just be really concerned that every git
tree we carry has to be owned by a program.

Sometimes we have useful code just because people are useful and doing
good things for the community. I'd much rather let that bloom as is then
spend a lot of time ensuring it fits into an existing program.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net