[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jan 30 17:34:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30 2013, Sandy Walsh wrote:

>>> Is that permitted in Ceilometer?
>>
>> Yes, it is. You could store that as a string in the key/value of a
>> metadata.
>> Usefulness and worthiness of this feature is still discutable.
>
> I think that's something that should be decided by the deployment.

The decision to enable it it up to deployment, but the decision to
implement this is up to Ceilometer.

Ceilometer wouldn't have any use of that field itself, so logging
something without providing any tool sounds strange. But well, I guess
we can call that a debug feature. :)

If we implement something in that direction, that should also be
something generic available to other sources of metering, like
pollsters, not only notifications. So a pollster could log the HTTP
reply that generated the meter. That points the need to just store the
original payload a raw string.

> A good idea? A viable idea? An idea worth pursuing?

An idea for which I don't have any strong opinion yet because I didn't
think it through, but which sounds viable. :)

But I also wonder is storing these metadata as JSON in the current meter
table and doing the filtering in Python isn't going to be much better
than using SQL as an EAV.

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker & freelance