[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Monsyne Dragon mdragon at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jan 30 17:18:55 UTC 2013

On Jan 30, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30 2013, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the difference? Metering assumes archiving. If any
>> company with SEC requirements wants to use Ceilometer for billing, for
>> example, they'll have to store 90+ days of data.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on the ceilometer mandate?
>
> Notifications aren't all about metering. Actually, they are called
> "notifications", not "meters". Things would be different if
> Nova/Glance/etc would emit directly meters, for example (hint hint).

One of the primary use cases the notification system in Nova was created for was usage metering for billing.
They are designed to be 'clicks' on a counter, i.e. get a compute.instance.create -> click 'number of instances for tenant $tenant_id' up one,
if it's a Windows instance, click '# of windows licenses' up one, etc.

The way I understand Ceilometer's meters, is that they are the counters in this situation. (or at least these counters would be one type of meter)
(correct me if I'm confused on any of this. I'm still getting used to ceil's terminology.)

The reason nova, etc doesn't actually do the counters is for scalability reasons (don't want to drag down the system with historical data on x * 1e5 instances per cell)
and because exactly *what* counters we want to tick on each event involves all sorts of business logic, thus needing some complex configuration/config api, thus is something more suited to an application designed for the purpose.