[openstack-dev] [keystone] endpoint versioning in API v3

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:21:25 UTC 2013

I just noticed that we overlooked/forgot a feature from the v2
serviceCatalog API which includes the following attributes on each endpoint:

  "versionId": "1.0",
  "versionList": "https://compute.north.host/",
  "versionInfo": "https://compute.north.host/v1.0/",

I never completely understood the intended use case for these attributes...
e.g. if you can ask the remote service for a 'version list' then why does
keystone need to redundantly identify the API version of the endpoint and
enumerate options for each API version? I don't think you should have to
revise your service catalog to roll out a new API version, either. IMO,
clients should (ideally) start with an unversioned endpoint, receive a 300
Multiple Choice response, and select a compatible/acceptable versioned
endpoint before proceeding.

Is anyone using this feature in v2 and want to see it carried forward to v3?

-Dolph