[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] resource_metadata and metaquery

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Wed Jan 23 18:49:05 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 02:14 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 01/23/2013 12:24 PM, Sandy Walsh wrote:
> <snip>
>> We need this functionality as well. Of the functionality we need added
>> (http://wiki.openstack.org/RaxCeilometerRequirements)
>
> Hi Sandy,
>
> I found this note on the bottom of the above wiki page a bit troubling:
>
> "Ceilometer extensively uses the openstack.common library ... I'm not
> sure what this really buys us. It seems like there is a lot of boiler
> plate just to work with this. Could be a lot easier."

Heh, yeah, sorry. Instead of "minor nit", I should have said "personal
minor nit".

> One thing I've been impressed with is the Ceilometer contributors'
> willingness and effort to both use and improve Oslo. I'd be much less
> concerned if the above comment mentioned improving Oslo instead of
> inferring that ripping out the use of openstack.common would somehow be
> easier.

Agreed. My concern is, this is a somewhat simple application and it
seems (to me) that openstack.common immediately makes things complex.
I'm sure there is more being used in Oslo than just logging and config
that I'm missing.

> What exactly would be easier about not working with Oslo? If you have
> issues with Oslo, I think it would be better to improve Oslo than ignore
> it, no?

I know there was some work done to make Oslo more modular and only use
the pieces you need. Perhaps that's just something I need to look at again?

Permission to speak freely ...

Put another way, should every openstack project have to use the common
libraries if they can skin the cat in an easier way? Should they have to
take on the extra workload of fixing up another project in that effort?
Will they be shunned if they don't?

I know the right answer is "yes, do it for the betterment of the
community." ... but sometimes you just want to get make some progress
quickly. (this is just me talking off the cuff here, of course :)

Again, and it's just my $0.02, but the whole thing seems like hanging a
picture nail with a sledge hammer.