[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] resource_metadata and metaquery

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:14:16 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 12:24 PM, Sandy Walsh wrote:
<snip>
> We need this functionality as well. Of the functionality we need added
> (http://wiki.openstack.org/RaxCeilometerRequirements)

Hi Sandy,

I found this note on the bottom of the above wiki page a bit troubling:

"Ceilometer extensively uses the openstack.common library ... I'm not
sure what this really buys us. It seems like there is a lot of boiler
plate just to work with this. Could be a lot easier."

One thing I've been impressed with is the Ceilometer contributors'
willingness and effort to both use and improve Oslo. I'd be much less
concerned if the above comment mentioned improving Oslo instead of
inferring that ripping out the use of openstack.common would somehow be
easier.

What exactly would be easier about not working with Oslo? If you have
issues with Oslo, I think it would be better to improve Oslo than ignore
it, no?

Best,
-jay