[openstack-dev] testr and automatic python-subunit installation

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:10:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Pitucha, Stanislaw Izaak
<stanislaw.pitucha at hp.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was wondering if anyone ran into issues with generating packages after
> 23'rd Jan. The commit that seems to change the test runner is:
>
> 7c5b0989474959a6f10e687871b94ae4a3f62244
> Use setup.py testr to run testr in run_tests.sh.
>
> The main part is:
> -TESTRTESTS="testr run --parallel $testropts"
> +TESTRTESTS="python setup.py testr $testropts"
>
> As a side effect it seems to break isolated builds (i.e. breaks packaging
> for me). After the command is run setup.py tries to install python-subunit
> for some reason even though it's already installed system-wide and there's
> no version constraint on it in test-requires. I end up with:
>
> """
> Running ` python setup.py testr  --slowest --testr-args=''`
> Checking .pth file support in .
> /usr/bin/python -E -c pass
> Searching for python-subunit
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/python-subunit/
> Download error on http://pypi.python.org/simple/python-subunit/: timed out
> -- Some packages may not be found!
> """
>
> So - do you know how to stop that? I'm running the tests with -N so
> virtualenv is not involved and I really don't expect setup.py to install
> anything.
>
> Regards,
> Stanisław Pitucha
> Cloud Services
> Hewlett Packard

This change was made so that the run_tests.sh script and tox would run
the same command to run tests. The "Running `...`" string doesn't
include "tools/with_venv.sh" which indicates the -N flag is working
properly. I think this means `python setup.py testr` is trying to
install python-subunit globally for some reason. Testrepository
depends on python-subunit, could this be a transitive requirement?

I have tried to reproduce this error with no luck; however, I do have
the latest version of testrepository installed out of pypi. Does
upgrading testrepository to the latest version help? Also, happy to
help debug this in #openstack-dev or #openstack-infra if real time
communication will help.

Clark