[openstack-dev] testr and automatic python-subunit installation

Pitucha, Stanislaw Izaak stanislaw.pitucha at hp.com
Wed Jan 23 17:06:51 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone ran into issues with generating packages after
23'rd Jan. The commit that seems to change the test runner is:

7c5b0989474959a6f10e687871b94ae4a3f62244
Use setup.py testr to run testr in run_tests.sh.

The main part is:
-TESTRTESTS="testr run --parallel $testropts"
+TESTRTESTS="python setup.py testr $testropts"

As a side effect it seems to break isolated builds (i.e. breaks packaging
for me). After the command is run setup.py tries to install python-subunit
for some reason even though it's already installed system-wide and there's
no version constraint on it in test-requires. I end up with:

"""
Running ` python setup.py testr  --slowest --testr-args=''`
Checking .pth file support in .
/usr/bin/python -E -c pass
Searching for python-subunit
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/python-subunit/
Download error on http://pypi.python.org/simple/python-subunit/: timed out
-- Some packages may not be found!
"""

So - do you know how to stop that? I'm running the tests with -N so
virtualenv is not involved and I really don't expect setup.py to install
anything.

Regards,
Stanisław Pitucha
Cloud Services