[openstack-dev] [XenAPI] One issue on xenapi environment setup

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Wed Jan 23 10:06:27 UTC 2013

Thanks for all your great help, my xen environment is up in VirtualBox. I can even fetch the rrd_updates now :)

So to devstack/xenapi in virtualbox, I noticed several thing that can be enhanced:

a) If try several ./install_os_domU.sh several times, it will unzip multiple nova directory under tools/xen/nova/, and cause issue, I have created a patch for it, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20303/ (BTW, what's the "master" in the install_os_domU.sh script? I didn't find anyone create that file/directory.

2) In my environment, I have proxy setting. However, currently xenapi in devstack does not considering such situation. At least I need two changes, one is the install-proxy for the template, another one is the mirror proxy in devstackubuntupreseed.cfg. With these changes, at least the DevstackOSDOMU will be up.

3) The DevstackOSDomU should have proxy also, so that the ./stack.sh can work well. However, I think this is a bit tricky, and I have no idea how can do this automatically, especially we need make sure the communication with dom0 will not be proxied.

4) the XenAPI package will not be installed by devstack, and n-cpu service will fail.  The reason is because the XenAPI is not in the pip-requires. (one minor thing is, because xenapi package has same name as nova/virt/xenapi, the exception information is a bit confusing when import XenAPI failed).

5) The wiki for the xenserver in virtualBox need be updated that the Promiscuous mode should be enabled. Also, we can tell the user that Ubuntu 12.04 has virtualBox support already. (I tried to install latest dpkg from virtualbox website, and then have to find method to purge it. IMHO, apt-get is the easiest method in Ubuntu)

I'm not what should be fixed. Possibly I can work on item 2) later when I have bandwidth, but I have no idea of solution to 3/4.

Again, thanks for your great help on this.

--jyh