[openstack-dev] gerrit: slow, doesn't accept drafts?

Jean-Marc Saffroy jean.marc.saffroy at scality.com
Tue Jan 15 01:42:09 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 01:04 AM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Jean-Marc Saffroy <jean.marc.saffroy at scality.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know if this is to be expected:
>>
>> $ time git review -D
>> remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (8/8)
>> remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done
>> To ssh://jean-marc-saffroy@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git
>>   ! [remote rejected] HEAD ->
>> refs/draft/master/bp/scality-volume-driver (can not create new
>> references)
>> error: failed to push some refs to
>> ssh://jean-marc-saffroy@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git'
>>
>> real    2m6.194s
>> user    0m1.312s
>> sys     0m0.328s
>>
>> So I wonder:
>> - why is it that I can push a request to gerrit for a review, but not
>> for a draft (review -D)?
>
> The ref that gerrit uses for drafts changed between their release
> candidate and final release, which was right about the time some distros
> imported the then-current release of git-review.  In short, you can fix
> that by upgrading git-review.  You can get the latest version (currently
> 1.20) at:
>
>    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/git-review
>
> Which will correctly send that to "refs/drafts/master...".

Ok, switching to a more recent release fixed the problem! I will add a
note about it in the wiki.

But it was still slow after that.

>> - why is it so slow?
>
> It should not be, that operation generally takes a few seconds at most.
> First, I'd make sure that you aren't using any ssh connection caching
> which does not work with Gerrit's internal ssh server (if you haven't
> set ControlMaster or ControlPath, you're not using it which is good).

No, I don't use anything like this.

> Then, try running:
>
>    ssh -vv -p 29418 jean-marc-saffroy at review.openstack.org gerrit ls-projects
> To see if there are any obvious errors or where the slow part might be.

This takes about 2-3 seconds, I don't see any obvious slow point.

> If you're still having trouble, hop on to #openstack-infra on Freenode,
> and we can help you with real-time interactive debugging.

It has been slow for a while since my first mail, but a few minutes ago,
the git review command took only 12 seconds to complete. So maybe there
was a load spike somewhere?

I'll let you know if I see the problem again.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc