[openstack-dev] gerrit: slow, doesn't accept drafts?

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jan 15 00:04:14 UTC 2013

Jean-Marc Saffroy <jean.marc.saffroy at scality.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is to be expected:
>
> $ time git review -D
> remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (8/8)
> remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done
> To ssh://jean-marc-saffroy@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git
>  ! [remote rejected] HEAD ->
> refs/draft/master/bp/scality-volume-driver (can not create new
> references)
> error: failed to push some refs to
> ssh://jean-marc-saffroy@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git'
>
> real    2m6.194s
> user    0m1.312s
> sys     0m0.328s
>
> So I wonder:
> - why is it that I can push a request to gerrit for a review, but not
> for a draft (review -D)?

The ref that gerrit uses for drafts changed between their release
candidate and final release, which was right about the time some distros
imported the then-current release of git-review.  In short, you can fix
that by upgrading git-review.  You can get the latest version (currently
1.20) at:

  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/git-review

Which will correctly send that to "refs/drafts/master...".

> - why is it so slow?

It should not be, that operation generally takes a few seconds at most.
First, I'd make sure that you aren't using any ssh connection caching
which does not work with Gerrit's internal ssh server (if you haven't
set ControlMaster or ControlPath, you're not using it which is good).
Then, try running:

  ssh -vv -p 29418 jean-marc-saffroy at review.openstack.org gerrit ls-projects

To see if there are any obvious errors or where the slow part might be.
If you're still having trouble, hop on to #openstack-infra on Freenode,
and we can help you with real-time interactive debugging.

-Jim