[openstack-dev] oslo-config and debian packaging

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Feb 28 08:00:39 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 01:02 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:
> It turns out that oslo-config and Debian packaging create at least
> a little bit of a mess, as I've discovered when attempting to do so.
>
> Packages depending on oslo-config will depend on 'oslo.config' in
> their setup.py. Debian packaging will, at least by default, map
> this to 'python-oslo.config'.

This could be overwritten. When it comes to Debian packages, I have put
manually python-oslo-config as (build-)dependency. With g3, I haven't
seen any problem.

Are you here talking about *Ubuntu* packages, and not *Debian*?

> However, the sdist tarball and the
> directory said tarball creates are, well, "oslo-config", not
> "oslo.config".

Debian doesn't use tarballs, but git tags for the packaging.

> This means that the packages we create for
> 'oslo-config' will be called 'python-oslo-config'.

Yeah, that's the Debian policy for python... I don't see why having
python- in front is a problem. dh_python2 doesn't really care.

> To clarify and
> reiterate, this means packages will depend on 'python-oslo.config',
> but the package will actually be called 'python-oslo-config'.

As Mark wrote, writing oslo-config works. But if it was not, this could
be overwritten by a debian/pydist-overrides file, with it's content
being like this:
oslo.config python-oslo-config

It is annoying to put that in all and every package for Openstack, so it
would be nicer to avoid it and have "oslo-config" as python module name,
rather than oslo.config, but it is workable still.

Hoping that gives you a bit of insight,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)