[openstack-dev] RFC: Namespacing for hardware related glance image properties

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 13:41:48 UTC 2013

In the following two commits

  commit 99ddc0d2ad7f2f9c27deaac08559eb794845afc3
  Author: Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
  Date:   Fri Feb 8 16:59:32 2013 +0000

    Allow VIF model to be chosen per image

  commit 66a7f044f5143feaf7046cebafea3df3ea95e04b
  Author: Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
  Date:   Wed Jan 16 12:38:23 2013 +0000

    Allow disk driver to be chosen per image

I introduced support for the Nova libvirt driver to read glance image
properties for customizing the hardware of a guest.

eg the user would set

      # glance image-update \
               --property disk_bus=ide \
               --property cdrom_bus=ide \
               --property vif_model=e1000 \
               f16-x86_64-openstack-sda

These properties are equally applicable to other hypervisor drivers and
thus ought to be documented as "standard" metadata properties, so we
don't get each driver doing its own thing [1]

It was suggested to me on IRC that we might want to first change the
names I used here to have some kind of standard "prefix" to group all
hardware config properties together, eg prefix then with 'hw_' or 'hw:'.

So instead of the above names, use

      # glance image-update \
               --property hw_disk_bus=ide \
               --property hw_cdrom_bus=ide \
               --property hw_vif_model=e1000 \
               f16-x86_64-openstack-sda

Obviously if we're going to make such a change we need todo it real
soon before Grizzly goes GA, otherwise we have backcompat pain to
deal with.

Thoughts ?

Regards,
Daniel

[1] Sadly VMWare already has some vmware specific property names