[openstack-dev] Have Jenkins run validation script in openstack-manuals

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Feb 18 00:53:30 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-17 19:05:59 -0500 (-0500), Lorin Hochstein wrote:
[...]
> It requires the Python lxml package.

We already install this on the Jenkins slaves anyway, so it
shouldn't be an issue unless it needs a particular version.

> It would be useful if Jenkins could run this script every time
> somebody submits an openstack-manuals patch via Gerrit.

Should be simple enough to add this job--it's just a few lines of
configuration from this point really.

> I don't think it should be used as a gate, but just as information
> to the reviewers.

Right, we call this a "non-voting" job since it won't trigger
downvotes or a refusal to merge a change.

> Can anybody advise me on how to make this happen? I'm unfamiliar
> with the Jenkins/Zuul infrastructure so I don't really know where
> to start to contribute a patch to make this happen.

I'll code up a patch to our job builder and zuul configuration in a
few minutes and add you as a reviewer. It's easier to show than to
tell.

> (As an aside, openstack-manuals probably *should* gate on being
> able to successfully generate all of the docs. I don't think it's
> currently doing).

All proposed changes to openstack-manuals do get checked and gated
on a job called gate-openstack-cli-guide, the guts of which can be
viewed at:

    https://github.com/openstack-infra/config/blob/master/modules/openstack_project/files/jenkins_job_builder/config/manuals.yaml#L1

If that needs to be expanded or augmented, that should be fairly
easily accomplished.

> I initially asked this the openstack-qa list a couple of weeks
> ago <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-qa/
> 2013-January/000178.html>, but I haven't gotten a response there.

You can also feel free to just pop into #openstack-infra and hail
one of us if you have testing-related questions--we're always happy
to assist.
--
Jeremy Stanley